Question and Answers About Volkssport

Many new walkers have many questions about the Volkssport program. This section attempts to answer them. If your question isn't answered go to "Contact the VAA" and email or call us with your question.



Why do I have to sign the registration sheet?

The registration sheet is an insurance waiver absolving us of liability if you are hurt on the walk. Everyone must sign before they start the walk whether you participate in the award program or not.
Can I go to other club walks and get my books stamped?

Yes, you can participate in any IVV event around the world. Information on these walks is available from your club president. Also check out the "Affiliations" section on this web site.
What is the cost of the walks?
In Canada the maximum charge for a walk is $2.00 ($3.00 in the USA) but clubs may charge less. Clubs within Alberta charge $2.00 for event walks if you are participating in the award program. Some clubs charge $2.00 for all participants. For PTs costs vary from $1.00 - $2.00 check the registration information sheet at the PT. Your first five walks are always free.
What does PT 
(Known as YRE in the US)
PT means Permanent Trail they are self guided walks that have been set up in various locations throughout the province of Alberta, Canada and other IVV countries. Some PTs are only open on a seasonal basis, check the dates before setting out to do them. 
They are all available between dawn and dusk whenever the start point is open for self registration at the walk box or if they are designated mail in contact the designated person to register.
You complete the route following the written directions/map at your own pace and are a great way to see the area. They are also sometimes done as a group, some are listed in the Event Calendar or check with a local club to see if any are scheduled.

What is a Guided Walk (GW)?
Participants meet at a specified place and all start at the same registration time. A member or two of the host club usually leads the group as a guide. A set of written directions is also usually provided.
What is a Map Walk (MW)?
Participants meet a  specified place and all start at the same registration time. Maps and/or written directions are provided and volkssporters proceed along the route at their own pace.
What is a Volksmarch (VM)?
Generally the event has a longer registration time so not everyone starts at once. The route is either marked and/or directions are provided and participants proceed along the route at their own pace making sure they are back before the desk closes.
How do I pay for the walks?

You can pay cash at all walks or mail in registration can be paid using cash, cheque or credit card.
Why should I join a club?
The motto of Volkssporting is “FUN, FITNESS AND FRIENDSHIP” in a non-competitive atmosphere. Joining a club is a great way to stay fit and healthy or just to meet new friends. The walks take you to new areas that you would probably never visit and enjoy on your own.

What does Rating mean under the description?
The following two-part rating system was designed to indicate to walkers an estimation of the difficulty of a trail for a CVF-sanctioned walk in Canada. The sponsoring Federation member decides what rating to assign the trail(s). The first part uses a number to refer to the difficulty of the incline while the second part uses a letter to refer to the nature of the terrain (indicated within each event information under “RATING”).

1 - very little hill or stair climbing
A - almost entirely on pavement, probably suitable for baby strollers
2 - some moderate hill or stair climbing
B - a significant part of the walk takes place on well-groomed trails with very little more difficult terrain
3 - some significant hill or stair climbing
C - a significant part of the walk takes place on somewhat difficult terrain (rocky, rooted paths)
4 - a good deal of significant hill or stair climbing
D - a significant part of the walk takes place on very difficult terrain
5 - many steep hills or high altitude trails
E - the majority of the walk takes place on very difficult terrain


What are those books being stamped at the walks?
The IVV Individual Achievement Award Program was introduced to encourage participation in non-competitive sports events under the rules and regulations of the International Federation of Popular Sports (IVV). There are two categories of awards — DISTANCE WALKED and EVENTS COMPLETED. Having a record of your achievements adds greatly to the experience.

What are distance books?

Distance books are to record the kilometres you have walked. Route distances can range from 5 to 42 km marathons or even longer walks. Every walk that you do can be recorded in the book every time you walk, even if it is a walk you have done before.

What are event books?
Event books are to record the events that you participated in. Event walks can only be stamped once in the calendar year. PT stamps can be stamped in your book twice in the year 

Is participation in the award program free?

No, to participate you must purchase record books and pay a registration fee at each event. New walkers are entitled to a “Five Free Stamp Sheet” which is later attached to a record book. 

Where can I buy these books?

Books can be purchased at most walks, ask the person in charge if books are available to purchase. Books cost $5 each. In Alberta, the first Event and Distance book are also supplied free, check with the person in charge of the walk to see if they are available. All club Presidents in Alberta have a supply.

What do I do when the books are full?
When the first book is full, which is 10 stamps for the first Event book and 500 km. in the Distance book, the books are sent to the Awards Coordinator. When all the stamps are verified, the books will be returned with a “Passport” and certificate. You must purchase another Event and Distance book to carry on with  the program.

Where do I send my completed books?
Marion Boom
CVF Awards Coordinator
42 Billingham Crescent
Ottawa ON, K2K 2T7

Where can I find out more about these books?

You can read the instructions on the back of the books or talk to the club President. Visit for guidelines on submitting your books and what to do if you make a mistake or lose your books.

What if I forget my books?
Insert sheets are available at the walks for recording that walk if you have forgotten your books. The insert sheet is only for temporary use and excessive use is not permitted. Insert sheets alone will not be processed and are only accepted when stapled into a valid IVV Record Book.

What if I run out of room in my book before I complete the level?
If you do a large number of shorter distance walks you can run out of space in the Distance Book. If this occurs an Insert sheet can be used for a few walks or a larger 'Extra Distance Sheet' can be obtained from your club.


What locations do I need to complete Walk Alberta?

The list that is in the Walk Alberta Booklet that you are using is what is required to complete the program.
Any places that are listed in your booklet that no longer have a walk can be crossed off.
What is the Alberta Challenge Program. 
The Alberta Challenge program was changed in 2017 so you only need 10 PTs to complete the Platinum level. If you have an older form the remaining lines are left blank.

 Walk for Fun, Fitness, and Friendship